In 2003, the TASSCC Board established the TASSCC Training Grants Fund. The fund was established in honor of Carolyn Purcell, the former Executive Director of the Department of Information Resources who was a fervent advocate for state IT employees throughout her career.
Consistent with TASSCC's mission to advance education and networking among Texas public sector IT professionals, the fund has awarded over $160,000 in grants to public sector IT professionals.
Training Grants will be considered on a case by case basis. We encourage you to submit an application.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Any IT professional from a state agency or institution of higher education
- Applicants' primary job responsibilities must be related to providing IT support for his/her agency.
- Applicant must meet prerequisites for course for which the training grant is requested.
In addition to TASSCC events, TASSCC will provide grants for selected DIR, LBJ School, SAO and UT Software Quality Institute (SQI) courses. Training Grant information will be included in announcements for these classes.
Individuals may also apply for grants for instructor-led private sector IT classes including product-specific certification classes.
What is the maximum grant amount?
During each fiscal year (Sept 1 - Aug 31) training grants are limited to:
- $1,500 per individual
- $3,000 total per organization
- One grant per person / per course / per organization - multiple grants will not be awarded for more than one individual to attend the same course on the same date.
For TASSCC events, the following limits apply:
- Agency cap: 2 per agency for one-day events; 3 per agency for multi-day events
- Event cap: 10 total for one-day events; 20 total for multi-day events
- The agency cap for TASSCC events is separate from the agency cap for external training opportunities, and no funds are exchanged between TASSCC and the agency/recipient.
What courses or events are covered by this program?
Training Grants are available for an IT-related course or conference. The content delivery may be face-to-face, online, or computer-based.
What expenses are covered by the training grant?
Funding is for training only. Travel and personal expenses related to the training are not included.
How do I apply?
- As part of the application process, the applicant is asked to describe how the requested training relates either/or to the person's current position or desired position as part of career progression.
- The applicant must have supervisor approval.
- The designated Information Resource Manager (IRM) for the agency must also be notified than an application will be submitted from his/her agency. For a list of agency IRMs, please click on the following link - IRM Listing.
- Complete the application. Once completed, a brief recommendation form will be sent to your supervisor to complete as well.
When are the applications reviewed?
- Applications are reviewed at the monthly TASSCC Board meeting held the 3rd Thursday of each month.
- Application must be received by the 5th of the month in order to be considered by the Board during that month's meeting.
- The TASSCC Training Grant committee reviews all applications and provides a recommendation to the TASSCC Board. The TASSCC Board makes the final decision regarding all grant requests.
How will I be notified about the status of my application?
Once the Board has taken action on an application, the applicant will be notified of the decision via e-mail.
How do I get reimbursed?
- TASSCC will either reimburse the recipient or pay the tuition directly to the training agency.
- TASSCC will not directly reimburse an agency or institution of higher education. To request an exception, please contact TASSCC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All payment requests for awarded grants must be received by TASSCC within 90 days of the course completion date.
- Once the grant is awarded send a copy of the training invoice directly to TASSCC and include the Payment Processing Form.
- Email TASSCC (email@example.com)
- Or by fax to 512-692-2651
- Or by mail to TASSCC, PO Box 27834, Austin, TX 78755
- Applicants must attend the class in its entirety and submit proof of attendance to TASSCC.
For additional information or questions regarding TASSCC Training Grants please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
TASSCC also provides grants for selected Department of Information Resources (DIR), LBJ School, State Auditor’s Office (SAO) and UT Software Quality Institute (SQI) courses. Grant information is included in announcements for these classes if applicable. Information about DIR and SQI courses may be found at http://www.dir.state.tx.us/education/ and www.softwarequality.org respectively. In addition, grants are available on a limited basis for the TASSCC Annual Conference and other TASSCC-sponsored events. Details about these grant opportunities are included in the specific conference announcements.